Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Wiki Choice

The library I will be chosing a Wiki for will be the Houston County Library System. Any social media for the three libraries operating within the county will be done under the Houston County brand. Houston County has a population of 137,958 people (www.quickfacts.census.gov) and the fiscal year budget for 2012 is $310,680.

Page History - yes. As this will be a public site, I do want the added security of a page history.
WYSIWYG - yes. As more than one person will be updating this page and as they will have different experiences and knowledge of working web pages, "what you see is what you get", is crucial to have an easy to update page.
Commercial Support - no. The Houston County Library System employs an IT person, so commercial support will not be needed.
Interface Language - no. English is the primarily spoken language in my area. Spanish would be a distant second, but most everyone speaks and reads English.
Hosted Software - yes. To make things safer, easier and smoother, I would chose to have a hosted Wikipage.
Own Domain - yes. As it is important to brand businesses, I would chose to have a personal domain for the library.
Corporate Branding - yes. In the theme of creating a brand, I would chose to have coporate branding.

After selecting these options, a list of 15 remained for me to choose from. I finally decided on Mindtouch (although I liked Wetpaint also). Mindtouch is open source and free. It does allow adds (which Wetpaint did not for educational sites), but if offers blocking and encryption. And although I do not particularly care about having an interface language, it offers 26 different languages. The writing format also looked easy to use and allowed for copy/paste and HTML. So for my wikipage I would choose Mindtouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment