Sunday, May 19, 2013

Oh Joomla....

Why do you hate me so.

Entry 5/19/13
As one who does not have experience with creating or maintaining websites, I find myself at a loss when dealing with Joomla. I don't know if it is just me, or if easier programs exist. I would certainly hope so. When one has to watch an hour tutorial to have any chance to understand what to do, something is wrong. I am in the middle of said tutorial and have the nasty suspicion that I am going to have to restart from scratch. Not good. But the positive is that once I understand what to do, I should have a great looking website. So, there's that. At this point, I will take what positives I can.

Entry 5/21/13
What joy, I did not have to start from scratch! It turns out I tried to change something that messed with the home page - and therefore, it broke the link. After struggling with this CMS, I finally had a breakthrough with how I placed my information when I realized the website follows a cascade style. Once it became clear how the information was ordered, it was much easier to navigate.

I finally had menus, articles, pictures, and logos placed on the website. There's not much to them, mind you, but they are there. Yay! ......And then it got tricky. Some stuff I did not want or wanted to move. Oh my gosh! Talk about difficult! I had to search high and low for some of the administrator change sites. And some I did not find at all. I gave up. And one particular article, I clicked the star to see what it would do (after all, that is the point of this assignment), and it stuck it to my home page. Well, OK....now that I knew what it did, I wanted to switch it back. So the obvious thing to do would be just to click the star again, right? RIGHT?!!  Wrong! It didn't work the other way. There was no easy switch back. And forget just unpublishing it - didn't work. So there it sits. On my homepage. "Installations", it says. And I can't get rid of it......

So my experience with Joomla is that in some ways its great and easy to manipulate, but in others, you reaaaaaally need to know the "ins" and "outs" of the CMS.

5/22/13
I guess it would help if I posted the URL. Here is my website: http://casite-507966.cloudaccess.net

No comments:

Post a Comment